Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Professional Tour Guide

Okay so there's just tooooooooooo much to cover. I'll provide as much as possible (as I am officially working again, on a different paper sigh).

My mother dearest showed up on Thursday morning, looking none the worst for wear, for her whirlwind weekend in London, long weekend but still...

After showing her the humble establishment and introducing her to one of our very nice receptionists, I brought her to Russell Square cafe where there was breakfasting and yakking. Following that we made our way to LSE where she recieved the grand look-see. It's fun showing people the life you create somewhere so they can then picture it when you mention things in the future.

After LSE we walked to covet gardens and went to Neil's yard, near seven dials, and what a cool little area it is. Well hidden from the passerby, hippie like, and really fun. I must go back. Anyway the main purpose of that venture was a specifically famous cheese shop, The guy in there, one of them, was totally into conversing about cheeses. My mom, for those of you who don't know, and most do, is a cheese maker (going on 25 years October 2008, volunteers to help plan a big bash? Talk to her ;) therefore there was much discussion and sampling. I have a very unrefined palate compared to the "expert", but damn I can appreciate flavorful (free)cheese. Half an hour later, we were fairly full and after a purchase headed back to our home bases (she stayed across the road from the dorm). She napped, I read. Then came Indian food at the Malsala Zone, for anyone who likes Indian Food, MUST GO THERE (by the way). Oh wow, it was just incredible and mom was highly impressed with my selection (takes small bow).

It was an early night because of travelling on her end. Friday morning I had classes (boo, but I did read and was able to contribute even to the snoozer class horray!), and she went to the Tate Britain. We met up for cheese and bread in the gardens near our places and then freshened up and headed for covet gardens again and the mongolian restaurant, another of my choices. HOrray, this was the one I went to with Lizzie (like the "Zone" seeing a pattern? All who visit beware)...and years ago on one of my summer trips. Doubley fun to show her this one.

THEN CAME LION KING. FInally, seven years after we heard how good it was, and three thousand miles from NYC we see the lion king. Gasp, and stutters for lack of descriptive words. I shall not even try except to encourage others to see it even if the story isn't appealing. Yes it is a disney film, but the costumes and sets are incredible, not to mention the music and performances are amazing and finally they upped the sense of humour in the character lines to make it more interesting for adults. Ha, hahah...G.O. Okay moving on.

Next day, again stunning weather, think 50 F and sunny. We went to Westminster Abbey, another finally for me. It was totally cool to see all these sites of the greats. Elizabeth, Mary Queen of Scots, the actual chair used for every coranation since 1296 (history geek out!! schneeeeeeeeee).

Finally.........um.....oh right the river walk. A grand tour (and lots of people) later we arrived at fish n'chips which despite the lack of newspaper met with mom's approval. Then we walked back along the strand, I showed her the ye olde cheshire cheese, but it was too busy to sit there. We ended up at the George and had half pints and played cards, hehehe. Turned in early, I did some work.

Sunday was a day of urban cafe hopping. I did a little work, but in the London Review of Books we did suduko together, two hard ones, quite accomplished wink wink.

Sunday night for dinner, we went to a nearby Italian place, again a good choice and to not have overcooked pasta, what a treat.

Monday morning, I headed off to start my week, but we first had breakfast at russell square and I saw her off to the Picadilly Line (she arrived safely home and headed straight to bed).

Overall it was short yes, but we both had a great time. I know my way around well enough now to avoid using a map mostly and I know little things and the more people visit the better I get. Hint hint. We did get to see the show, and eat out (me = happy), and now she has witnessed my life here, which is just totally weird in a sense. She got on a plane and just flew here and sure maybe it seemed a little pricey, but it was so easy...for both of us. I'm not a huge amount more behind than I would be normally, ha, and the farm is still in one piece. Smooth and straight-forward. We'll have great memories and I feel like I am officially one with the city.

Today itself has been rather unproductive, but I imagine the rest of the week will pick up. I'm starting to try to iron out spring break plans for travelling and booking tickets. Time is on countdown and internship applications for this summer are calling (gulps). Damn timeframes.

I think that's about it for now. I will post pictures from mom's visit soon. Not so good with picture posting I do realize, but it just takes a little while.

More soon.
Cheers