Okay so some days this time (in london) seems long. However, it has occured to me that today is Friday, January 18th and holy crap, I have eight weeks of this term left, six weeks off, and then about seven or eight weeks before I return for good. See the thing here is that broken up like that, it seems shorter, and that is nice for those days where it seems long. Today was relatively unproductive I think, I did do the reading for my classes, the first one there were only six of us total (out of like fifteen) talk about pressure grrrrrr. (and someone in my dorm is making something sweet that's burning, terrific, if the fire alarm goes off, i scream because after taking warm shower and putting on pjs, last thing I want to do is go out).
Right so, after that class I read two packets on union movements in various countries, yawn, I'm sorry but this sociology class is in fact a big and complete bust. The other three are pretty good although my EU class still does make me feel a bit queasy some mondays. I think it's just because it's somewhat hard and I stink at reviewing, oh this weekend is going to be fun. I mean that both truly and sarcastically.
Theoretically I will be going to bed in about an hour which means early to rise, get work/shit done, then head to "brunch" same as the weekdays here at Hughes Parry but later thank goodness. Then Chloe and I are going (maybe with others) to see the warriors at the British museum - just down the street - for a break. Then back here to work. I can get a lot done this weekend if I'm not stupid with time management. Oh sigh.
Talked to mom last night, we're trying to figure out the best time for her to come what with the farm and taxes on her end needing attention, and mass amounts of extra reading later in term for these stupid stupid stupid papers (excuse me, wonderful learning execises...sigh).
Back to hating British food as well, oh wait no that didn't really change. I do have to say that now that I've got an established group of wonderful people to go out with some evenings to pubs and do spur of the moment things with (think knock on door and they wait outside for you to be ready) and then ideas of other cool non LSE things to do, talks at institutes, a few shows, etc. well time does move right along.
I do have some trips on the weekends I'd like to do, but it's seeming like most of them might have to happen in the first two weeks of break, not sure yet. I would like to do some more traveling in the UK, but again, time is short. Maybe after spring break I'll have more time (with exams then again maybe not, oh hahaha, I wake up from mild dreaming session). I do really want to travel, but mom happily agrees that the insanity of doing six weeks during the spring is silly and she wants me home as much as I want to go, sweeet deal. I just need to figure out how to charm my way up into an upgrade again, damn, forever spoiled.
I did a massive room cleaning today horray! Now the only problem is my papers and reading assignments are in total disarray, as they have been all year, oh pah (that's for you lizzie, and hannah...and sarah?)
And so now I shall fully admit (and hides from Lizzie here as well) that I am too "fridayed" out to put up pictures from London visit she had with me last weekend (so sorry!). They (along with Germany day 2) are in fact on the way. I forsee fun study breaks this weekend doing that....and what else what else
I found out a few days ago a dear family friend passed away. She was 97 and had many close calls in the past few years, a medical miracle most would agree I'm sure. Even though I'm here having much more fun the second term and certainly enjoying the opportunities to explore and be somewhat of a kid again (in an adult sense), it just sucks being this far away. It just sucks, there's really no way around it. I saw her just a few days before I left, well about a week actually, and I was telling her about London and my adventures. I'd taken to visiting her in Lenox while I was home on breaks from Middlebury, she was one of those incredible women who was outside the "appropriate" realms of society her entire life and therefore an instant inspiration to me. Damn old age, death and being human. Sometimes I feel so human I think it's got to be wrong. Not on a distrubing level, but more just that the world is a scary big place (although when I meet people who know people I know, it's a very small one), and we have less control over the course our lives take than we'd like to believe. I realize this may sound a bit hypocritical coming from someone who has been incredibly fortunate to have the opportunities and support I have...rather I just mean that even I sometimes feel like the decisions I make are controlled by my environment. Not that it is a bad thing, in fact most the time it is pretty normal feeling, just sometimes....anyways typical friday ramble when the brain is rather tired.
I was contemplating this summer and next fall yesterday...please don't roll your eyes when you read that...too late? oops, maybe I should have started with that request. You shouldn't be surprised, hell I'm not surprised as I routinely say that I plan 6-10 months ahead of where I am and that puts me at: (July-Nov 2008). Lovely.
Summer: Roosevelt responded to my summer intern inquiry with "hyde park director?" ARGGGG for those who know about my continual and exciting, although somewhat soul sucking experience with this organization feel free to contemplate how that went over. Anyway I could stay with the wonderful family I stayed with last summer, they'd pay me, I'd know the city and I'd catch up with the organization some so that I could do a regional coordination position/paid job, next year (woot woot) plus get some damn good/stress inducing, experience in the mainstream of planning and organization. I am good at both. Nuff said.
Senior year: well......a indepedent research project would be awesome (thanks midd for screwing me out of writing a thesis. no i'm actually not that bitter - anymore...)
Then it seems as though I may be in for a co-presidency of the Irish club, and no I can't dance that well, but administratively, I could do that part and the better dancers/other co-pres(s) run rehearsals...yeah I'm okay with that.
Mentoring, miss the little one! Omg yes to playing again withe wonder that is the next generation
Xenia stuff, no pressure, no stress, just fun, but still something to be involved with much (sunday night dinners, pledge events, study nights...lions tigers and bears oh my).
Then of course I'd have the Roosevelt job most likely....sigh, 12-15 hours required a week and supporting whoever is going to lead on campus. I hope to god that our current leaders secure that in the next month or so, there will be no more of that for me. Fact. (those at midd reading this who will be around next year, please REMIND me of this entry...thanks much).
Finally there is tap dancing (which makes me happy) although I may not be able to pull it off. It is goodness.
Lastly, but certainly not least comes classes! Oh boy, and looking for a job and testing for grad school applications (gack!).
Um and I should mention I still wanna leave time to go to talks and shows etc. as I am missing them all very much this year. I've also mentioned to many wonderful midd friends who are there next year that we gotta do some fun stuff, like a dinner out, or an afternoon in burlington, or a movie evening every so often because we're going to be going (typically) crazy and it is our last year. Now that is a scary thought. I'm going to be a SENIOR, a senior, not in high school but this is for big kids. oh my god oh my god. Okay back to present, I guess my point is that I did make good friends and now I leave....and unlike home/high school friends being around, it's harder to reunion with college friends I think (hope not).
That brings me to this experience again, not a surprise. I realized today that while things aren't perfect, and some days are hard, that I'm rather in the middle which I think is good. I'd love to go home for March break at some point, but I'm excited that I get to come back. I don't really want to leave, I like visiting home, but suddenly staying is weird. I don't know where my head goes these days, freaky.
Anyway back to next year's timetables for shits and giggles...
Novemeber brings elections and a real thanksgiving! YESS
December: exams! and break...ahhh
Then sneak peak at J-term, clerking for a judge in burlington so I can see what I think about law school? (trembles). Suddenly georgetown is on the brain, good law and government options, strokes chin in contemplation*
spring term: more goodness, last set of exams and GRADUATION (hyperventilate..and trying to stay in present). real world!!! Okay clearly didn't work...
Okay so that was my train of thought yesterday...someone just poured something out of the window above me, ewwww (if someone peed then i cry)....dorms, fucking suck (excuse the "french").
Right so after that long rambling entry, I'm off to watch a movie and crawl into bed. Week 2....check.
~T